
I guess this is more for me than anyone else. I don't keep a journal so it's good for me to write this story down and remember it. When we found out we were having a boy, I was so excited. I wanted all my kids to have a big brother. I had liked the name Keyton or Keygan since I was a little girl and Trevor liked Keyton a little better. Then I told Trevor he could pick the middle name and he came up with Ezekiel. I loved it. Keyton Ezekiel Reddish.
I was due with Keyton on Jan 11, and when I didn't go into labor that morning, I called my Dr. to see if he would start me but there wasn't room that day. So, he scheduled me for the next day. I was so nervous and excited to see this kid. I went in at 2:00 that afternoon and they hooked me up to the pit. What seemed like forever, but it was actually around 9:00 pm I started feeling contractions. They kept getting harder and harder and they came and checked me at 10:00 and said I was at a 5 so I could have my epidural. They went to find the lady who was supposed to give it and she had gone home, so they called her back. The pains were getting so bad as time went on, and then I started to feel like he was coming out. Trevor had left because he didn't want to see the epidural needle, so I told my mom, " I think he's coming out!" She immediately went and found the nurse who said there was no way, first babies don't come that fast. But she said she would check me and when she did, sure enough I was at a 10. Then of course who walks in, the anesthesiologist. Perfect timing NOT! You're about 30 min late. She was telling me that it would take 15 min to get the needle in and 15 min to take effect and I was screaming, "he's already coming! You're too late" I was not happy. So then she ended up giving me a different shot that is automatically effective, but I was so allergic to it. I made me itch and throw up soooo bad. Finally someone found Trevor and told him to get back in the room, and he showed up in time for me to start pushing. after about 30 min of pushing, Keyton was born at 11:38 pm. He weighed 7lbs 15oz, was 20 in. long, and had a full head of black hair. He was so beautiful. It was a painful experience, but so worth it. And I have decided that since I lived through all the pain with him and was only numb for the pushing, my next one I am not having any pain medication (if all goes as fast again). Having a baby is so surreal and painful, but the blessings that come afterward are amazing! I love hearing labor stories so please share yours with me too!
10 comments:
Hey Im excited you found me also.. Wow I cant beleive you baby is already almost 3!!! I remember going to your baby shower, anyway... I would love to keep in touch! Your family looks like you are doing good, hope all is well
I love labor stories too. Isn't it crazy how different every one is? I'm impressed that you did it without the epidural...I guess you didn't have much of a choice, but that's kinda nice. I was having labor pains for like 2 days...aka no sleep for 2 days. I even had contractions every 7 minutes one whole night, and when they checked me, I was only like a 2 or 3. Finally they broke my water and put me on pit. I didn't want an epidural, so I walked around for like an hour, but I only made it to like a 5 before the pain and lack of sleep did me in. I got the epidural, slept for like 5 hours, and woke up in time to push for 4 hours!!! Silly kid was posterior, so he just didn't want to move, plus I couldn't even feel my contractions, so they finally turned up the pit. They tried the vacuum and finally had to use forcepts. I think if I wouldn't have slept for 5 hours, I wouldn't have been able to push that long and would have had to have a C-section. I hope this next one is less complicated!! I would love to be able to do it without an epidural, but I guess we'll see. That really sucks that you were allergic to the medicine! I love your pictures on this post, they are beautiful!
Dayna- I wouldn't rule out an epidural just yet. My labor with Carter sounds a lot like yours. I waited til a 4 to get the epidural, and 20 minutes later, I felt my body pushing and it was too late for anything. I had to do have him without any pain medication. This time, as soon as my contractions were painful, I got an epidural, even though I was only a 3. It was awesome not to feel any of the pain! I ended up having a c-section anyway, but I'm sure the whole labor and delivery would have been a much more pleasant experience. You should just ask them what it was you were allergic to and I'm sure they have something different. Feeling everything is so not worth it!
I can't believe he is going to be 3! Or really that Ryder will be 2! I can't immagine being on the pit that long without anything I got an epidual like 30 mins after being on it! haha! I love hearing stories too!
WOW! 3!! He is getting so big. I remember you calling me or I called you after he was born and you telling me your labor story. In my head I was like "wow she is super woman having no epidural" I told myself that FOR SURE I would have one no matter what. I did and it was sooooooooooo nice. Good luck with the next one. If you really don't want any pain medication then I hope you get your wish. A lot of women do it. I think you are so brave. Love ya!
My goodness....your a strong woman I don't know that I could have done it...but what other choice was there right? My story goes as follows...are you ready...I had problems from the begining and had a hard time trying to get and stay pregnant after 2 miscarriages and plenty of scares with Brynnah...they enduced me a month before I was due (I had gestational diabetes and it was completely out of control)after 16 hours of cytotech (a pill to help your cervix to soften) they finally started me on pit ....after 5 hours I was at a 2...can you believe it...I was so extremely tired and there was NO way she was coming out..so they got me prepped for surgery and I had a c-section @ 6:48 pm on Monday night...Brynnah was then lifelighted to Primary's and I had to stay in Pocatello for 2 days then got to join my family in SLC and stayed for a month with Brynnah through Heart surgery, failing kidneys, and Lung problems....Yikes! But soooooo worth it!
Time flies--it seems like yesterday you were prego and dressed as a cheerleader for our Halloween party. I love remembering the day Bridger was born as well--there's something so magical about it. Happy birthday Keyton!
I loved reading your story. I too love to hear people's stories. I'll share mine with ya.
I was 3 weeks away from my due date and when i went into the Dr. he was concerned because i didn't have very much amunotic fluid left so he told me if i didn't have it on my own in a week he would start me. I was so nervous because a week had gone by and i new i was gonna be started. On monday i got really really really sick. It was horrible. At 5 in the morning i woke up to use the bathroom and halfway there, my water broke. When my water broke it wasn't clear and it really scared me. I thought something was wrong. I called my Dr. and he told me the baby had just had a bowl movement and to head to the hospital. They started me on the pit and i went in to hard labor. It was awful. I was shaking so bad that they barely got the epidural in me. Once they did, it was pretty easy sailing form there. I pushed Kambria's head out and then they had me stop so they could suction her lungs. Then i pushed her the rest of the way out and the respritory team took over and finished suctioning her lungs. I didn't get to hold her for about 2 and a half hours after she was born. That sucked, but i am just thankful she didn't have to be in the nicu.
Dayna Hey you are a very very brave women. With Maddox I dialted so stinking early, I was only about 29 weeks then and I felt the wierdest pain, (it was me dialting) when I got to the doctor I was to a 9 1/2 so they just hurry and gave me the epidural and I pushed him out right away. I almost felt like I cheated labor. It was nice, but the epidural was to intense, so I felt nothing, like nothing being I couldn't even push. He obviously came out regardless, but it was still kinda a crapy epidural. I never felt one contraction with him, but I did with Emmerson, and I thought I was seriously going to DIE!!! It hit me like a ton of bricks. I don't really need to describe the intense pain, because you did it the whole time, but lets just say I can't believe that women's bodies don't pass out from the pain. So after I felt about 5 or 6 the epidural was administered, and it only worked on the right side, they had me lay on that side to get the medicine flowing better, but it never really worked. It was a crapy delivery, I threw up the entire time, during pushing, before, after forever, but it was worth it in the end. I have a friend here that every time she's had a kid (she has three now) she goes in and does it natural. She's really brave and so are you. But I just want to let you know there's no shame in just taking the DRUGS!!! I hope everything goes smoothly! I love ya
Take it from your mom....three naturals, one epidural and your Dad will still to this day tell you how mad he was at me and Dr. Degnan for laughing right up until time to push. He was worried about us ever getting serious. It was a picnic. Much less stress on me....much less stress on the baby....but I don't know how you would ever convince a Dr. to start the pit with the epidural like he did. It didn't work all the way on one side but that was still a picnic compared to all the rest. It isn't as bad without an epidural and no pit as it is with pit and no epidural, but it still resembles death I am sure. The perfect delivery was my last. Only felt the one side with labor pains and still could tell when to push. However, it is much worse for me to watch you girls than just do it myself. So help me out and have the epidural and no pit. Love always. Mom
Post a Comment